BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, October 29, 2010

He Likes To Move It Move It


My boys are best friends for life.  There isn’t much that if one of them is into, the other isn’t.  They’re like little twinsies, joined at the hip, partners in virtually everything.  The little one even looks up to his older brother (who is only a little over a year older) and wants to be a part of everything he does.  He’s almost lost without his older brother when CJ leaves for school, and sits and mopes around waiting like a little puppy whose owner is away at work all day.

However, the one big difference between them already has to be their taste in music.  Caden loves almost anything pop, and I’ll catch him singing Lady Gaga, Linkin Park, Big Time Rush, Chris Brown, etc.  He likes anything with a fast pace and a beat he can dance to.  One of these days, I’ll have to show you his awesome break dancing moves (which, now that I think of it, are strangely similar to his Kung-Fu moves).

But the little one is completely different.  He surprises me every time I turn the iPod on with his random requests for songs he’s heard once, or ones that I’ll skip through thinking he won’t like them (because I know his brother doesn’t).  Having heard just a few opening lines from a new song, they will either both cry “change it, change it!”  Or, more often than not, Caden will be in the back saying “Mom, this song sucks.  Will you please change it?” (he is totally anti-change and if he had it his way, we’d listen to Bieber and Big Time Rush all day every day - oh, and the song by Linkin Park from the movie Transfomers which he knows every word to) but Trysten argues, “no leave it!”  The way he is building his own musical taste makes me proud, especially because what he picks is not-so-mainstream (at least, not anymore), and the fact that I love jammin’ to the tunes he picks helps, too.  If I had to pick songs for a playlist that just he and I could sit and jam to,  I’m sure it would look something like this:
  • Paradise City - Guns ‘N’ Roses
  • Renegades of Funk - RATM (it only took once for him to hear it and now he asks for it almost every time we get in the car)
  • White Wedding - Billy Idol (he heard this song one time in the car, then went into my grandma’s house and asked her to play the “Hey Little Sister” song.  She had to call me and ask what he was talking about.  They then spent the next hour watching Billy Idol vids on youtube.  He’s a fan for life now.)
  • My Best Friend’s Girl - The Cars (again, only took one time.  He sings the chorus like “she’s my best best girl” and tells me it’s about me… awwww!)
  • Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
  • Rock & Roll, Hoochie Koo - Rick Derringer (heard the first half of this song and got mad when I changed it at Caden’s request)
  • Let’s Stay Together - Al Green (another one he got mad about when Caden asked to change it)
  • New Divide - Linkin Park
  • Don’t Touch Me - Brak (Cartoon Network, Cartoon Planet/Spaceghost)
  • I Like To Move It - Hans Zimmer (Madagascar 2 Soundtrack)
  • Rock That Body - Black Eyed Peas
  • Crazy Frog - Axel F
  • Sexy Chick - Akon
  • Alejandro - Lady GaGa
  • The Look - Roxette (don’t hate, you know you love it too)
  • Heartbreaker - Pat Benatar
  • Otherside - RHCP
  • Heads Will Roll - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
  • Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) - C&C Music Factory
  • Uprising - Muse
So there you have it.  My rockin’ little four year old.  Obviously there are tunes that EVERY little kid wants on their play list (that Crazy Frog is musical crack for kids), but some of them just surprise the hell out of me.  His favorites are mostly songs he’s heard once, rather than the ones he hears over and over again on the radio or in the car.  I just love it.  I love that he loves the music - my music.  Makes my heart happy.




Oh, and for anyone who thinks I should still be shoving strictly Kids Bop, Disney Sing Along Songs, and nursery rhymes down my kids’ throats, and not letting them listen to that kind of music, all I have to say is this:

Cram it up your cramhole, Lafleur.

0 comments: